Walking from John O'Groats to Land's End in the winter of 07/08.

Monday 24 December 2007

Ladybower to Sheffield

“I'm walking home for Christmas
Oh, I cant wait to see those faces
I'm walking home for Christmas, yeah
Well I'm moving down that path
And it's been so long
But I will be there
I sing this song
To pass the time away
Trudging in the mud
Walking home for Christmas”


Crossing the mighty Ladybower dam, which holds back the waters of what was once the largest reservoir in the country, took me to the Derwent Valley Heritage Way. This initially runs along an old railway line before taking to the banks of the River Derwent itself; the thin strip of land marked out for the path worryingly disappearing into the water at times. This is rambling country, and the network of paths that criss-cross the area were heavy with traffic, making finding the necessary solitude to empty my bladder particularly difficult.

After solving this problem, I abandoned the line of purple waymarks to find a way through to Grindleford, where my dad would shortly be arriving on the train. We would then tackle the last few miles into Sheffield together. The brutal climb out of the valley up onto Totley Moss was a tough warm up, but crossing the moor on tracks gorged by army vehicles and trail bikes was even more difficult, requiring negotiating steep waves of mud and deep dirty pools of water. The only features are the huge earth submarines that hide ventilation shafts for the railway tunnel deep underneath. After this introduction, I doubt my dad will want to join me on any more of the trek.

Lanes and suburban streets quickly and surprisingly emerge from the bleak moorland to lead back to my old home. Now I have a good chunk of time to get into the festive spirit, to eat enough cakes to return to my pre John O' Groats weight, to reproof my gear and let my body do some repairs. My focus for the last few weeks has been on getting here in time for the festivities, but when I hit the trail again I will have Land's End in my sights. With over half the distance already walked, it actually looks like it might be possible.

No comments: